Thursday, August 7, 2008

An Eon Ago...

...when I owned a small business in a rural village...

...one of my customers was the owner of a country inn. He and I traded services instead of paying each other in cash. (I did declare the value of services received as income on my tax returns.) As a result, my family and I enjoyed many a meal in this bucolic setting:

Our favorite seats were on the glassed-in porch (lower photo, left). There we had a splendid view of the nearby stream.

The inn has long since closed; the building is now a venue for music festivals and other "artsy" gatherings; and we now live 1,500 miles from the place. But my mind's eye still recalls the evenings -- sometimes snowy and sometimes showy with fall color -- when we traversed country roads to the inn, where food, drink, and hospitality awaited us.